The word Coronavirus sounds pretty frightening in 2020, and for some people, particularly those with underlying illnesses, it very well may be.
Majority of people who have been infected with the coronavirus experience a mild or asymptomatic disease that can be treated at home. So if you’re experiencing the tell-tale signs of the virus, what should you do to feel better.
What do you need to do when treating a mild Covid-19 case at home?
First and foremost stay at home. This is crucial! This applies even if you don’t have a confirmed case but have the symptoms. If you feel you have symptoms reach out and get a PCR test done.
Wear a face mask when going out. This would be if you are going to get a PCR test done. If not please STAY AT HOME
Practice social distancing by staying in a room with a dedicated bathroom, if possible, away from other members of the house.
Symptoms of COVID-19 coronavirus
The main symptoms of the new coronavirus are ;
- Shortness of breath
- Irritating sore throat
Home remedies for treating patients at home or people that experience early Covid-19 Symptoms
- For a Sore Throat,
The most irritating nature of the corona virus is the sore throat.
- One of the best home-made remedies or rather drinks for Covid-19 patients would be the famous Sri Lanka koththamalli drink, which is also known as Coriander. Coriander is a herb that’s commonly used in dishes and many other things to help boost the immunity system and to stay safe from viruses. This is rich in antioxidants and help fight infections in the body.
- A unique ginger honey wrap works just like a kadha in battling the nasty germs and stops the virus from spreading around the body.
What you will need:
- Ginger (grated)
- Raw honey
- Olive oil
- Napkin/ Tissue
Mixing honey and flour together, add grated ginger and 2-3 drops of olive oil to this. Once ready, put a small mixture on a tissue/napkin and using adhesive, tape it to the chest. It is advised that you apply this concoction before going to bed. If you have sensitive skin, conduct a small patch test before use.
- Another remedy to help kill the irritating sore throat is by having a mulethi (liquorice root). Mulethi is a traditional Ayurvedic herb that is added in chai as well as consumed when you feel the onset of a viral infection settling in. It’s also a good reliever for the itchiness caused by a sore throat. Mulethi has also been found to contain helpful anti-viral properties that target bad disease-spreading pathogens. It also produces healthy mucus, which softens the pain and roughness. The antioxidants in it take care of any free radicals which may harm your immunity. ( https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/home-remedies/covid-19-try-these-simple-home-remedies-to-treat-a-sore-throat/photostory/76402743.cms?picid=76402817)
- Drink a pinch of apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has alkaline properties that have anti-inflammatory properties in them. It is also the main ingredient in traditional oxymels, which are used to treat coughs and colds. It is particularly helpful in relieving a sore throat since the acid content in the solutions helps eliminate the infection spreading bad bacteria, which cause inflammation in the throat. To relieve symptoms, drinking a glass of warm water mixed with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar can prove to be helpful. You can also add honey for additional taste and benefits.
- Coconut oil pullings can be a great remedy to reduce the irritating sensation of a sore throat. Coconut oil pulling can be one home remedy you can try to lessen your pain and deal with the problem of a sore throat. Coconut oil helps in quashing out the toxins and the germs strengthen immunity as well as clear out nasal passages.
Coconut oil is also very soothing on the throat and carries zero side-effects. Having close to two tablespoons of good quality coconut oil regular basis can help your body fight infections and viruses naturally.
- For a Fever,
Its important to stay hydrated because fevers usually cause sweating, which means loss of water from your body can lead to dehydration. Therefore, drinking lots of fluid preferably water, citrus juices may help in reducing the fever and staying hydrated.
DO NOT consume soda, high sugar beverages and Caffeinated
- For a Cough,
- Drinking warm beverages, like tea or broth will heat up the airways and break any mucus that might be in your throat and upper airway.
- Take a tablespoon of honey in hot tea or hot water as the honey tends to soothe a sore throat.
- Steaming will soothe a sore throat and open your airways, making it easier to breathe
- Gargling with saltwater may reduce the irritating nature in the throat.
What we have listed here are some simple home remedies you can make use of to relieve the irritation caused by sore throat, these are in no way foolproof treatment measures for coronavirus infection. Home remedies can also help you to a certain extent but if problems persist, or you experience more symptoms of COVID-19, seek immediate medical help. Use a mask and follow other safety preventive measures to curb the spread of the disease.