Autism is a brain disorder that makes a person act differently around other people. Autistic people may find uncomfortable in social life and find it hard to communicate with others. But Autism doesn’t mean a barrier for greatness. There are several great people and celebrities with Autism that have faced immense success throughout their careers. Most of these individuals suffering from Autism/ASD have made such a great impact on our world. A few such names are Elon Musk, Albert Einstein, Wentworth Miller, Sir Anothony Hopkins and many more. Keep reading to find out the most famous celebrities and iconic personalities with Autism you didn’t know about
AutismSpeaks.org defines Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication. According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects an estimated 1 in 54 children in the United States today.
Here are some star personalities and celebrities with autism, that have overcome their challenges and inspired many people.
Most common traits and signs of Autism (ASD)
- Finding hard to understand what others are thinking or feeling
- Getting very anxious about social situations
- Finding it hard to make friends or preferring to be on your own
- Seeming blunt, rude or not interested in others without meaning to
- Finding it hard to say how you feel
- Taking things very literally – for example, you may not understand sarcasm or phrases like “break a leg”
- Having the same routine every day and getting very anxious if it changes
1. Elon Musk ( Celebrities and stars with Autism)
Elon Musk is one of the famous entrepreneurs in the world. Recently, he revealed that he suffered from Asparagus- mild autism. He spoke about his diagnosis while hosting the Saturday Night Live show. He said that he has suffered from this diagnosis since childhood. However, Elon made fun of his autism in the monologue of the show.
- Autism traits of Elon Musk: Weird in public, Afraid to talk
2. Jerry Seinfeld
In an interview with NBC’s Brian Williams, Comedian Jerry Seinfeld says he believes he’s on the Autism spectrum. By observing his behavioral patters Jerry thinks he has ASD.
Seinfeld confirms that, saying, “I think, on a very drawn-out scale, I think I’m on the spectrum.”
“Why? What are the markers?” asks Williams.
“You know, never paying attention to the right things,” says Seinfeld. “Basic social engagement is really a struggle.”
Seinfeld goes on to explain, “I’m very literal. When people talk to me and they use expressions, sometimes I don’t know what they’re saying. But I don’t see it as dysfunctional. I just think of it as an alternate mindset.”
3. Alexis Wineman
Wineman is the first autistic woman to compete in Miss America. She was diagnosed with autism at age 11. Alexis has won two titles, Miss Montana and Miss Cut Bank, in 2012. Now, she has become an influencer, speaker, and autism advocate for children who suffer from autism.
- Autistic traits of Wineman: Extreme Shyness, Afraid of people
4. Bill Gates
Bill Gates could be one of the richest men in the world with autism. It is yet not confirmed about the Autism of Bill Gates. But the medical experts state that his monotonous voice, body language, and the way he acted in meetings are signs of autism. However, Bill has never spoken about his autism, but he donates his money to autistic people to overcome autism.
- Autism traits of Bill Gates: Avoiding eye contact or physical touch
5. Bob Dylan
This great musician is also believed to be on the Autism spectrum. Bob’s behavioral patterns have definitely exposed him to be on the Autism spectrum. He is another great example for Famous people and celebrities with Autism that have reached the highest levels in their careers.
- On July 23, 2009, Bob Dylan was taken into custody by police in Long Branch, New Jersey, after complaints from residents that he was “suspicious” and perhaps “homeless.”. His weird and strange behavior caused this arrest. Later Bob was released after questioning was held under suspicion of Autism.
Martin Scorsese’s documentary on Bob Dylan: No Direction Home shows the Autistic traits of the great musician. Based on this article the below mentioned autistic traits were abserved within Bob Dylan.
- Impaired reciprocal social interaction relative to developmental level.
- Impaired verbal and nonverbal communication relative to developmental
- Abnormally intense and narrow interests
6. Albert Einstein
There’s no way to know for sure, but many people believe that Albert Einstein would qualify as having autism spectrum disorder today
7. Wentworth Miller (Celebrities with Autism)
Wentworth Miller is the newest member to enter the list of celebrities with autism. The “Prison Break” actor revealed that he had been diagnosed with autism to his Instagram followers. He has shared a post telling about how he was diagnosed with it. Autism has taken over his life during the last year’s quarantine. But he thinks that isolation had helped him to find new gifts in life. Wentowrth Miller is without a doubt one of the most famous Celebrities with Autism that has gained great success.
8. Peter Howson
Peter Howson is a Scottish painter. He was England’s official war painter during the Bosnian war in 1993. Peter was diagnosed with autism at a young age. He believes that his loneliness inspired him to paint. But also, his loneliness has made him a drug addict.
- Autistic traits of Peter Howson: Afraid of people
9. Sir Anthony Hopkins
Sir Anthony Hopkins, the Oscar award winning actor has never been shamed to know that he was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. He has infact stated that Autism has helped him to observe people and deconstruct himself into that particular character
10. Clay Marzo
Clay Marzo is an inspirational character for people with autism because of his success in sports. He has shocked the surfing world with his double joint spin. Clay was diagnosed with Asparagus a form of autism in 2007. He revealed his disorder after starting his career. However, he still continues his career successfully.
- Autism traits of Clay Marzo: unconventional behavior, Afraid of people
11. Susan Boyle ( Celebrities with Autism)
Susan Boyle is a famous Scottish singer who has three Guinness World Records for fastest-selling albums. She has live with brain damage since childhood. In 2012 she realizes that she had been diagnosed with Autism.
- Autism traits of Susan Boyle: Feeling awkward in Public, Struggled in school
12. Daryl Hannah
Daryl Hannah is an American actress who starred in films like Blade Runner, Splash, Wall Street. She was a famous actor before transitioning to a quieter life. Hannah has said in interviews that her autism has left her shyness in public events. At the time she was diagnosed, doctors have recommended she stay at home, but she started her carrier without considering it.
- Autism traits of Daryl Hannah: Extreme shyness, Emotionally isolated
13. Dan Aykroyd ( Celebrities with autism)
Who doesn’t know Dan Aykroyd. Dan is the co-creator of the film ghostbusters. He has starred in films that gross $300 million. This famous star was diagnosed with autism at age 12. Sometimes he credits autism because he believes that it helped him to create characters in ghostbusters. He said that at the time he was acting, he knows to control his autism.
- Autism traits of Dan Aykroyd: Getting upset into minor changes
14. Temple Grandin
Everybody who researches autism will come across the name Temple Grandin. Grandin has diagnosed with severe autism, and she couldn’t talk until she was four years old. Her autism has raised her to fame because of her inspirational speeches about overcoming autism. But now, she is a professor in Animal Science at Colorado University. There are films made about her life, and even she has named as one of Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential People.”
- Autism traits of Temple Grandin: Hard to talk, Repeating words, unconventional behavior
15. Satoshi Tajiri
The name Tajiri doesn’t ring a bell to you at all. But you will know him as the creator of Pokemon. Tajiri thinks of autism as a gift because his loneliness helped him to create such a world-renowned game.
- Autism traits of Satoshi Tajiri: Afraid of people
16. Steven Spielberg
Steven Spielberg is a legendary director, producer, and screenwriter in Hollywood. In 2012 during an interview, Spielberg opened up about his autism spectrum. He reveals the problems that he has to face in school. He was two years late to talk, and he also always feel embarrassed in front of the class.
- Autism traits of Steven Spielberg: Delayed in learning to talk,
17. Lionel Messi
Messi is one of the greatest soccer players in the world. There are many rumors about Messi’s autism. But Messi has not confirmed it yet, so it is hard to believe. Any way his behavior doubts everyone. When Messi was in school, he was nicknamed a little mute by his peers because of his extreme shyness.
Many players have talked about his lack of social interaction and shyness even, great players like Maradona and Pele.
- Autism traits of Lionel Messi: Extreme shyness
18. Michelangelo – Sculptor, Painter, Architect, Poet
Michelangelo, a famous artist, was born in 1475. He is thought to have had an extreme fixation on his work. He had difficulty with emotional regulation, had trouble with social interactions, and thrived on strict routines