British Charity worker who survived Covid-19, dengue, and malaria totally blind’ and wheelchair-bound days after being bitten by King Cobra in India

Ian Jones a British charity worker who survived covid-19 coronavirus, dengue, and malaria is now recovering after a potentially deadly cobra snakebite in western India’s Rajasthan state.

Jones originally from the Isle of Wright was bitten by an Indian cobra in the rural Jodhpur district of the desert state and admitted to a hospital in Jodhpur city, about 350 kilometers (220 miles) from the regional capital Jaipur. He was just 30 minutes from death after he was bitten on the arm by the venomous reptile in an Indian village.

British Charity worker who survived Covid-19, dengue, and malaria totally blind’ and wheelchair-bound days after being bitten by King Cobra in India

He shifted to India to run a charity backed social initiative in support of traditional craftsmen in Rajasthan. Ian was living temporarily in the social enterprise’s warehouse in Jodphur so he could be closer to the people he supports,” Claire Robertson, from Community Action Isle of Wight, which runs the enterprise, told the BBC. This is where he first contracted Covid-19 followed by dengue and malaria and now a deadly cobra snake bite.

Doctor Abhishek Tater, who treated him at the local Medipulse Hospital told that Ian Jones came to them last week after a snake bite in a village in the region. Initially, it was suspected that he was Covid-19 positive for a second time but once the test results came it proved he was negative. When he admitted he was conscious and had typical cobra snakebite symptoms such as blurry vision and difficulty walking. Later Jones went into a coma and his loved ones said it was “touch and go” whether he could recover.

Totally blind and wheelchair-bound after Cobra snake bite

Colleagues revealed the dad-of-two was “relaxing” at his charity Sabirian’s workplace near Jodhpur, Rajasthan, when the black hooded cobra bit his lower arm and hand.

His charity today revealed that Ian Jones who woke up from the coma has paralysis in his legs and cannot see as a result of the Cobra’s venom.

Dad-of-two Ian Jones is now wheelchair-bound after he was bitten by a King Cobra in India 

At the time of the bite, Ian Jones was battling the aftereffects of the Covid-19 coronavirus, dengue, and malaria after first catching the killer bug back in March.

Mike Bulpitt, who has worked with Mr Jones for six years, said the snake bite “exacerbated” his Covid-19 symptoms.

His charity set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds to pay for his care and today revealed he is confined to a wheelchair. (https://uk.gofundme.com/f/help-ian-fight-deadly-cobra-bite-amp-covid19)

Community Action Isle of Wight and Jones’ family have been able to raise over £12,000 on the GoFundMe website to help cover his hospital fees and travel back to the Isle of Wight in southern England, AFP reported.

An update on the site read: “While Ian is out of hospital he is not out of the woods yet.

“He has paralysis in his legs and is therefore confined to a wheelchair and he is also totally blind, both as a result of the Cobra venom, which is extremely frightening for him.

“We take some comfort though from the fact that he is back amongst more familiar surroundings and with his beloved dog Rocky and able to enjoy some cuddles again.